Our Mission & Goals
HART's mission is to improve the condition of animals in Western Maryland by:
- Saving the lives of adoptable animals through rescue and transport, rehabilitation, and adoption.
- Reducing pet overpopulation through low-cost spaying and neutering.
- Building and operating a humane animal adoption center.
- Encouraging community involvement for responsible pet ownership.
- Reducing incidence of animal abuse and neglect in our region, through education and intervention.
To achieve its mission, HART has raised $3.5 million dollars to build and equip the HART Animal Center and to provide ancillary services that will ensure the continued operation of the Center by creating a source of revenue. The Center also is creating job opportunities and training county residents interested in animal care, rehabilitation, and rescue and support Garrett County’s efforts to enforce the laws against animal cruelty and neglect.
HART's Animal Adoption Center has become a model for compassionate animal rescue and community involvement in saving the lives of companion animals. HART has brought about a community where the famous words of Mahatma Gandhi inspire the efforts of everyone involved in making the center a reality:
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.”